question

Matt Shea avatar image
Matt Shea asked

Victron inverter connected to open source venus gx

I have a victron phoenix compact multiplus inverter. I connected the ethernet cable to the only rj45 connection I can see in the box and connected it to a mk3 to usb. I tried to connect this to a PC but the system didn't pick it up at all. I really want to connect it to my raspberry pi 3 open source box that currently has my mppt and bms so I know that works. I have change the network cable and tried swapping the USB ports but nothing. I want to monitor the AC as well as the solar and DC but I can't. Can anyone shed some light on the problem?20201118-184153.jpg20201118-184203.jpg20201118-184217.jpg20201118_184153.jpg

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @Matt Shea, welcome to the Community!

Victron only supports the use of Victron RJ45 UTP cables for connection to Victron devices, so that's the first thing I'd try - get a Victron RJ45 cable.

Second, though, what software do you have on your PC to interface with the MK3? You'll need either VictronConnect or, depending on how old that unit is, you may need to use the VE Configuration Tools For VE.Bus Products; both are available here: https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matt Shea avatar image
Matt Shea answered ·

So I have now ordered a victron rj45 utp cable although not sure how different they are from standard rj45 cables. I have the victron config software on my pc.

2 |3000

Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

I have successfully used the rpi with two different multiplus inverters one took a short while to register one came up nearly straight away. I found although in the end I got them to work on the pc they worked out of box on the rpi. As for the PC as already mentioned you need to install the drivers for the mk3 and depending on age of your inverter the correct software on the pc.

Hope this helps Mark

2 |3000

Matt Shea avatar image
Matt Shea answered ·

I have connected the victron rj45 cable and tried again to no avail. I connect the mk3 to usb to my raspberry pi but there is no readings from AC on the vrm portal. The inverter has been on the boat since before I bought it so at least 3 years if not more. I don't know if it could be a mk3 dodgy cable or rj45 dodgy port on the inverter.

2 |3000