question

lief ryan avatar image
lief ryan asked

Multiplus and Pylontech state of charge

i have a multiplus 48/3000/35, SmartSolar 150/100 charge controller(2.7 Kwp solar), and 2 Pylontech batteries.

My question is if it is a problem to be running on bulk continuously?

i have a Hydro turbine connected to the mutiplus (ac coupled) through a grid tie inverter, and over night it just keeps the batteries around 70-80% and in the day when we use some power the solar tops them up so it just sits in bulk mode (batteries at about 50v) all the time,

i did read somewhere that lithium batteries like not being fully charged/discharged but i'm not sure about the elevate voltage from being in bulk mode all the time?

Thanks all.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Hi @lief ryan, at 50V it’s nowhere near fully charged (pylontech gets charged to 52V bulk, with float also 52V) so it shouldn’t be an issue at all. Personally I prefer fully charging a lifepo4 at least once a week, as the cells needs to balance and with passive cell balancing the balancing typically only starts when the battery is close to being fully charged. I don’t know which type of balancing the pylontech uses (passive or active balancing) so to be on the safe side I’d let the system fully recharge the batteries every few days.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic