question

elvistherv avatar image
elvistherv asked

Smart Battery Sense as temperature source for Quattro (with BMV 712 already installed) and CCGX

So both my Quattro and BVM are remote from the batteries (about 3M but also over an axle so non-trivial to run additional wires).

I'm guessing that the BMV temperature probe is sensitive to voltage drop from extending the wires (assuming I can run them from the BMV to the batteries now everything else is installed).

So the Smart Battery Sense would seem to be a solution to provide temperature data for the Quattro via the VE.smart network. (Of course, a shunt that also did temperature for the BMV would be ideal!).

Is this possible?

BMV Battery MonitorCCGX Color ControlSmart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

The shunt for the BMV should be close to the batteries, and the temp probe plugs into the shunt, not the head unit. You should just be able to add the BMV temp probe to your shunt.

As for the Smart Battery Sense, that will NOT communicate to the Quattro as it works over bluetooth. It's meant for communication between the BMV and MPPT with DC-DC chargers coming in the future.

There is a VE.Bus smart Dongle, but it uses the same temp probe as the BMV and if you already have a BMV, just plug the temp probe into the shunt.

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ commented ·

@nebulight - just letting you know that I added the word NOT to your answer as its seems you left it out.

I agree with your recommendation.

0 Likes 0 ·
nebulight avatar image nebulight Mark ♦♦ commented ·

oops, thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
elvistherv avatar image elvistherv commented ·

Ahhh it all becomes clear now. OK I’ll hook that up in the morning.

0 Likes 0 ·
nebulight avatar image nebulight elvistherv commented ·

Actually this was assuming you have a GX device to link all your products. If you don't have a GX device (color control, Venus GX, raspberry Pi), then they won't talk to each other.

0 Likes 0 ·
elvistherv avatar image elvistherv nebulight commented ·

I do have a CCGX, my

next question is that whilst I can see the battery temperature on the BVM & VRM etc. The Quattro is still reporting a null temperature value, does the Quattro actually make use of the battery temperature data coming from the BVM (via the Quattro)?

0 Likes 0 ·
nebulight avatar image nebulight elvistherv commented ·

Two things. you need to make sure you you have DVCC turned on with your CCGX and Shared Temp Sense is enabled. Second you need to make sure your Venus and Quattro are on up to date firmware versions. The CCGX needs to be at least 2.12 and the Quattro has to be 422.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#dvcc_requirements

Once you have that, it should show up on the CCGX:

0 Likes 0 ·
1575664849056.png (31.0 KiB)
1575665060475.png (33.6 KiB)
elvistherv avatar image elvistherv nebulight commented ·

Awesome that’s the final piece of the puzzle.

0 Likes 0 ·