question

Charles Judd avatar image
Charles Judd asked

BVM estimated run time with intermittent load over time

Looking to buy a BVM 712

My loads are generally 4x4 camping stuff, 12 volt fridge, lights, USB charging etc.

My batteries are a 75amp hour under bonnet, and 100 amp hour in trailer.

Question: When the BVM is estimating how much run time is left for current useage/load, does this estimate factor in intermittent and regular load generated from for example the 12 volt fridge compressor clicking on and off over time?

What can I expect the BVM to report? Will it try and estimate/predict the pattern?

i.e: fridge compressor turns in and runs for a bit and the BVM will report X time time remaining.

Fridge compressor turns off, Will time remaining increase on the BVM again because the fridge is off?

Obviously the fridge will intermittently turn on a off constantly over time, and I’m wondering if the BVM is intelligent enough to average the load pattern over time to provide a more accurate estimate of available juice.

BMV Battery Monitormonitoring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The BMV can only calculate a time remaining based on the present load. If there is a load of 5A, it will estimate the time remaining if you continue to draw 5A. When the load goes away the time remaining will increase or show "infinite" if there is zero load (or the battery is charging).
It cannot predict the magnitude of loads or charging sources that may, or may not, show up in the future.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BMV battery monitors product page