question

sportswagoneer avatar image
sportswagoneer asked

Feature request: Enable DVCC "Limit battery charge voltage" for non-managed batteries.

Many marine and RV installations spend most of their time out of use (at the dock or parked), hooked up to shore power. Typically 1-3 weeks beween weekend usages during the early and late season and sometimes for the entire winter.

During these periods, it's practical to have DC power onboard for running internet, sensors, fridge, Cerbo etc. but the LiFePo4 batteries are essentially in storrage.

It would be beneficial for LiFePo4 battery longevity (also non-managed drop-ins) to set a temporary lower charge voltage to aim for storing the batteries at between 40% and 80% SOC rather than at 100%. This is better achieved through temporarily limiting the charge voltage, which will create a stable SOC situation rather than turning the virtual switch off and on, effectively doing many small charge cycles. Balancing of the cells would not happen in this period (as it would not happen in disconnected storage either). Using VEConfigure to do this is just too cumbersome.

You could choose to call this a "storage mode for LiFePo4."

To avoid users erroneously keeping this state while making active use of the installation, an alarm could be set for AC disconnects > 1hr and/or alternator-level DC voltage being monitored while in this state.

Finally, this setting could be controlled through Node-Red just like the current one for managed batteries, enabeling the advanced user to turn off the "storage mode" remotely in good time before going on a trip, enjoying a fully and freshly charged service bank when leaving.

(Please feel free to correct me if I have misunderstood something above. I'm aware that LiFePo4 batteries are a a great deal more robust than Li-Ion etc. and will only degrade moderately from being kept at a 100% SOC. Still - I think it's an unnecessary degradation.)

battery chargingDVCCmarine
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

You can use DVCC with "dumb" batteries, just activate it.

I already did that a few times to limit the max. charge current on smaller batteries without wasting PV power during high loads.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jeremy Albrecht avatar image
Jeremy Albrecht answered ·

If you're looking for a "storage mode" I have a Node Red flow that I built that sets DVCC Charge Current to 0 if the switch on the dashboard is enabled and the charge is above 60% (It charges if it drops below 60 and stops charging once it crosses 65).

2 |3000

sportswagoneer avatar image
sportswagoneer answered ·

DVCC and current limiting works with “dumb” batteries - but not voltage limiting. The problem with current limiting is that the Multiplus won’t distinguish between charging and load - so you end up oscillating between two SOC levels rather than a stable partial charge. (I have a script doing just that using the virtual on/off button - but want to avoid the oscillation.)

2 |3000

Related Resources

DVCC chapter in GX manual  

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic