question

groningen avatar image
groningen asked

Parallel within a solar string

Background:

I have three 605w panels in series that produces roughly 120V peak at 18A (3s1p). They are running on a 150/45 mppt.

The problem:

Early morning, I have a chimney shadow that sweeps over the panels. It covers roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of a single panel during sun rise. This shadow is present for 2 to 3 hours as it runs from panel 1 to 3.

My Question:

Due to limited space, I cannot run 3S2P (total 6).

So can I add one more panel and parrelel it with one panel i.e. 2 panels will work in parallel but still produce the ave voltage of 120V (40v per panel connection) as if I still have three panels.

Effectively, I am trying to mitigate the shadow effect on a single panel by "picking up the slack" with the 4th panel in parallel.

Will the Mppt be ok with it (Two panels produce 18A and the other 2 36A ?

I can add a picture if my explanation is not clear.

I know the internal diode of the panel switches "on" to bypass the shadow PV cells so effectively, their is also a "weak" amp reading from one panel (as the shadow sweeps from one to the next panel).

Happy to hear your thoughts

MPPT ControllersSolar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
duivert avatar image
duivert answered ·
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Yes you can, BUT you need a Diode/Rectifier on bot parallel panels, otherwise the shaded panel will be cooked by the non shaded one.

2 |3000

maa avatar image
maa answered ·

Anti-return diode on the positive cable calibrated according to your amperage

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

This is highly unorthodox.

I don't think you'll see any advantage unless you parallel it with the panel nearest the MPPT. Otherwise you'll be limited by the max current of a single panel.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic