question

jeroen-es avatar image
jeroen-es asked

Ekrano makes a lot addres claims in N2K network

Hi everybody ,

I have an Ekrano that is connected to my N2K network via Ve can and cable, now I noticed in a log (I was looking for something else) that the Ekrano makes a lot of address claims, sometimes as many as 400, does anyone know where this is? depends on? Firmware ? Both Victron and a Dutch dealer (topsystems / Stroomwinkel) do not know the answer :-(

Who knows? And also found the same thing and/or resolved it :-)

Thnx !!

0x42 (YDWG-02), 0x05 (MiniPlex), 0x01 (MiniPlex) and 0x00 (MiniPlex) every ~10 seconds.

This looks like:

Victron: *device 0x42* who your are?
Device 0x42: I am Yacht Devices YDWG-02 s/n 00604331
Victron: *device 0x00* who your are?
Device 0x00: I am ShipModul MiniPlex 3 s/n 3B001350
Victrcan see that Victron Ekrano GX sends ISO requests to the devices on: *device 0x01* who your are?
Device 0x01: I am ShipModul MiniPlex 3 s/n 3B001350
Victron: *device 0x05* who your are?
Device 0x05: I am ShipModul MiniPlex 3 s/n 3B001350
Victron: *device 0x42* who your are?!
Device 0x42: I am Yacht Devices YDWG-02 s/n 00604331
Victron: *device 0x00* who your are?!
Device 0x00: I am ShipModul MiniPlex 3 s/n 3B001350
Victron: *device 0x01* who your are?!
Device 0x01: I am ShipModul MiniPlex 3 s/n 3B001350
Victron: *device 0x05* who your are?!
Device 0x05: I am ShipModul MiniPlex 3 s/n 3B001350
[...]
And so on more than 40 times.

I am not sure if this is critical, but there's no point in that. Looks like

a bug in the Victron firmware

screenprint_can viewer.png

VE.CanNMEA 2000 - N2Kekrano gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Jeroen_ES ,

I asked someone and they said that those requests seem quite normal and not a problem. They are doing no harm, it’s part of the protocol, and the bus can handle this kind of traffic easily.

I am reluctant to escalate it any further unless they are causing an issue, and not just a curiosity.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jeroen-es avatar image
jeroen-es answered ·

I cautiously disagree with that. For the following reasons, the Ekrano is the only device in the network that exhibits such behavior.

The bus can be fast enough, but that's almost saying, yes there is unnecessary data, but luckily you don't notice it because of the fast bus, that's the opposite world.

After all, if all other devices did the same, it could cause problems. The extra amount of data and the claims for the devices are also likely to cause problems in the future. I had a problem with a device and that's how I came across these address claims.

I also submitted this question today to nmea.org to give an opinion on it. I am still awaiting an answer. If I get an answer I will post it here too.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Ekrano GX product page.

Ekrano GX online manual

Ekrano GX datasheet

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic