question

nytram6 avatar image
nytram6 asked

Charger, Smart Shunt and VSR

Hi all -

After some help/confirmation on the following.

I have a set up as per the below schematic

The SmartShunt is positioned between the leisure battery and ground and this monitors the leisure battery as well as the starter battery - this is working as expected

However, when on electric hookup and the battery charger is on, the charger is charging both the leisure battery and starter battery. I believe this would make sense as the VSR will open when 13.2v+ is read across the relay.

Is this ok? My intention was for the charger to charge the leisure battery when on hookup only.

Is there a way to only charge the leisure battery and not starter?

Thanks in advance

img-8594.jpeg

battery charging
img-8594.jpeg (161.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The VSR is allowing this.

You don't say why you installed a VSR, so this answer is generic.

You'll have to replace it with a manually switched relay or one that uses a different trigger. If you simply want to charge the leisure battery from the vehicle alternator, an orion DC:DC charger is what you need. This will detect charge voltage on the input side and start charging the output side.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nytram6 avatar image
nytram6 answered ·

The VSR is installed to charge the leisure battery when driving and the mains battery charger to do so when not driving.

I now appreciate that the VSR is dual sensing and will connect if voltage is detected either side of the VSR.

Would a DC:DC charger react in the same way? Or would it limit the current flow back to the starter when on mains charge?

I mean it’s no great shame that the main battery charger is charging the starter too, it’s just the readings on the Victron app will not be accurate as it’s seeing the leisure and starter batteries in parallel when the VSR is connected.

2 |3000