question

danielcv avatar image
danielcv asked

AC OUT 2: Switch ON/OFF depending on available Solar Power

Is it possible to control the AC OUT 2 with ON/OFF commands, using the available Excess Solar Power, depending on SOC and Availabe Power ?
I would like to switch AC OUT2 ON, when SOC is over 99% and a minimum Power from Solar (for example 1.000 Watts) is available to start a Bitcoin Miner.
I have Victron Multi RS Solar 6kW, Cerbo GX, 4kW Solar and 48V Pylontech US5000 I am OFFGRID

Multi RSac out 2
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@danielcv

It will be the available solar that will be a headache.

Solar only generates if there is a load. So the load has to be on to know the availability of solar.

If you wait untill 99% the battery is already balancing so low current state. Everything will have parked off at that point.

I would use peak solar hours and SOC but a bit more tolerance on the battery maybe 3% to give load stability during intermittent cloud cover.

And simple answer yes. Use a smart switch and node red but not the AC2 out. It is not switchable.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob commented ·
I was under the impression the AC2 out was switchable with an assistant based on SOC.

The PV availability issue does seem like a hitch since you have to put a load on to "see" how much PV is available. I wonder if an irradiance measuring device could be incorporated into a system, tied into Node Red, to indicate when PV is available without putting a load on the system and be incorporated into the logic. Switch on when battery SOC = 100 AND when PV irradiance is X, shut off if SOC < 100 OR PV irradiance is < X.

0 Likes 0 ·
danielcv avatar image
danielcv answered ·

Thank you. Ok I understand with the solar load and SOC.
But AC2 Out is not switchable ? I have seen in the assistant the Relay AC2 OUT option with also the Switching condition by SOC.
Can you explain what do you mean with smart switch and node red ?

2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Would the method outlined in this post help because using the generator start assistant with the relay sense reversed means that the on conditions for the dump load are AND, i.e. you need to have both the voltage and SOC high to start the dump load. The off settings are then effectively OR, only one of the SOC or voltage needs to be low to stop the dump load. I have this programmed up for my Multiplus but have not yet loaded or tested it. The linked page shows power draw and SOC but you can also use battery voltage as a trigger.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/57414/help-with-assistants-to-use-ac2-as-dumload.html

The above links also references

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/8894/feature-request-use-ac2-output-as-a-diversion-load.html

The following link provides a warning thar adding the assistant control of AC2 OUT will disable its function of closing when grid is available on AC1 IN.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/23714/multiplus-generator-assistant-to-switch-acout2-to.html

There are multiple other threads on this issue if you use the search function.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Mutli RS Solar Datasheet

Mutli RS Manual