question

racer-x avatar image
racer-x asked

Multiplus II's UL approved, but not MPPT controllers...what does this mean for US installation?

Hello-

I live in the United States and am interested in building an ESS system: panels connected to MPPT controller, then to battery bank and Multiplus II 48/3000/35-50 120v inverter with connection to the public grid. Cerbo GX as well as Lynx shunt in the system. My understanding is that this model of inverter is UL approved and can be used in the United States in systems that feed power back into the grid. I checked with a local solar panel installer who insisted that while some of the Multiplus inverters are UL approved, none of the MPPT charge controllers are, consequently they can't, and are not, installing grid connected Victron systems. Period.

Is this true everywhere in the US? Is anyone here back feeding to the grid using Victron inverters and MPPT charge controllers? Thanks in advance.

Multiplus-IIMPPT ControllersESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Since the MPPTs charging the Batteries and do not feed in directly like a GTI, solarchargers do not need an UL approval. You can install even any crappy Asia products

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

racer-x avatar image
racer-x answered ·

Yup. My thoughts as well. But I am not an electrician. And I have yet to find one in my area of the US willing to install a grid connected ESS using Victron components. Wonder how popular Victrons are becoming in other parts of the US now that the inverters are UL approved?

2 |3000