question

sfenwick avatar image
sfenwick asked

DC/DC connection order

I'm using an Orion 12/24-15 as my starter/alternator (12V) to house battery (24V) charger.

The parasitic load of the Orion is becoming a problem when the vehicle is parked for more than a week (100mA * 24h * 14 days = 33.6Ah).

I'd like to connect the H input of the Orion to the 12V ignition signal, and put a relay between the starter + alternator and IN connection of the Orion. The relay (coil) would also be controlled by the ignition signal.

This means that 12V would be applied to the H input of the Orion maybe 100ms to 1s before the starter battery/alternator voltage is applied to the IN pin. The OUT pin of the Orion may see 24V of the house battery or not; separate switch.

Sometimes, systems don't want to see any voltage on inputs (like H) before the power rail is up. Other devices don't care.

What's the situation with the Orion Smart chargers? Is it acceptable to apply a voltage at H before any other supplies have been established?

Thanks!

orion-tr smartorion dc-dcorion
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

If the LH pins aren't bridged and there's no voltage on H, the Orion is off. No parasitic draw.

You should be able to connect H to the switched radio feed or another fused switched circuit to provide this. Orion will be happy. Order not important. Relay not needed.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.