question

bonebago avatar image
bonebago asked

Best Way to Run two batteries in the RV?

Hi! I have a vintage RV with a bunch of electrical modifications. Pretty much re-wired from the ground up. I have a 30amp WFCO inverter charger that powers the RV when it's plugged into shore power or Generator, it also charges the House Battery and I have a 10Amp on board charger/maintainer for the Chassis Battery. I have a Victron 712 for monitioring (which is on its way for warranty inspection/repair). I have a 500watt Victron Inverter for the TV and DVD while boon docking or driving (I have it wired to an automatic transfer switch to power that circuit with shore power when connected to land) I have a Victron DC-DC 12/30 amp charger that charges the house batteries when driving while the alternator is pushing max voltage. I had this system running fine on one house battery but decided to get two new 100ah deep cycle batteries from renology and was wondering what the consensus is on how to hook these batteries up and keep them charged. How to utilize the extra battery, either running them in parallel or keeping them isolated and using a switch when one is low. What equipment would be good to charge them both that would be best for their longevity and maximizing return on the power storage? There is a ton of information regarding starter and house battery combination but not much available I can see on starter and banks of batteries. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks so much.

dc isolators in parralell system
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Run in parallel. Spreads the load, so extends battery life. Also simpler. Keeping them topped up will help further as will restricting discharge amounts. Paying a bit more for Lead Carbon batteries will help even more.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic