question

sshambar avatar image
sshambar asked

LoRaWAN module stuck at blue light, gateway passing join to TTN

I've setup a VE.Direct LoRaWAN module (US902-928, I'm in California) to monitor my Smart Solar MPPT controller (connected via VE.Direct cable). I have a 8-channel LoRaWAN gateway (SenseCAP M2) configured for the US902-928 channel plan and linked in Basic Station mode with nam1.cloud.thethings.network cluster.

The gateway sees join-request packets from the Victron module (DevEui matching myPortal ID, JoinEui=70b3:d57e:f000:5f34, SNR=9 so signal strong), and the TTN console on the nam1.cloud also shows the packets arriving there, but no join-accept messages are appearing in response.

The gateway and Victron module have been sending join-requests for several days, but nothing's changed. I've restarted both the gateway and Victron module several times, but I still just get the blue light, and the gateway is forwarding join-request messages...

If I attempt to add the installation on vrm.victronenergy.com, I receive the error "Portal ID or IMEI could not be found" - I'm guessing because the module has not been join-accepted yet.

I've submitted a support request to the seller via Victron's support site, but they're not answering.

Is there a step I'm missing? I'm guessing I'm not supposed to create an application/device on the TTN as the device should be recognized automatically by the Victron+TTN integration? Is the integration not currently working?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Scott

LoRaWAN
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
sshambar avatar image
sshambar answered ·

After several rounds of evaluation with the very helpful vendor (Inverters-R-US via Amazon), the feedback from Victron was that I should return the device for evaluation, which I did. Victron determined that the device was faulty (perhaps had an old firmware version?... couldn't check as the VRM connection wasn't working), and they sent a replacement unit.

The replacement immediately connected, and I was able to register it easily on vrm.victronenergy.com -- for reference, the new device had firmware v1.06.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic