question

bladerunnervf avatar image
bladerunnervf asked

Case for a new bigger MPPT for high Voc pv panels?

I find myself wishing there was a bigger MPPT available, is there a case do you think?

some examples of why....

1) Trina vertex s+ 430W pv panel has

Voc 51.4V, Isc 10.59

In principle 10 of these could fit on my roof. So Vstring would be 514V, plus 0.24%/K away from STC, assuming -5C worst case adds another 37V, so 551V max.

AFAIK nothing in the victron range will cope with this directly.

Is there a gap in the product range, for something bigger, like a MPPT 600/15 charge controller?

The victron mppt charge controllers seem to be focused on higher current capability, e.g. 250/60 is the smallest 250V option I'm aware of.

For other manufacturers PV inverters a 550-600V pv input is not uncommon, so I find myself puzzled.

Maybe there's something about charge controllers which is different to pv inverters and I'm comparing apples to pears?

Some further examples...

2) REC alpha 430W has Voc 59.7V 0.24%/K. That would give 597V + 43V = 640V (gosh!) for a string of 10. That's still 320V if split into a string of 5

3) Jinko, eurener, longi etc all seem to be around 42V with 0.25%/K temperature sensitivity. But even 10 of these in one string is 420V + 31.5 = 451.5V which again exceeds the available kit.

Is it fair / sensible to expect to put 10 panels on one string or ideally should there be a bigger MPPT available?

Thanks for taking a look

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolarSolar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

No one would string that many. The 450V of the RS is plenty. You are also constrained by a multiple of the battery float volage.

The 200A unit or multiples thereof is plenty for large demands.

Higher voltages only really beneficial for HV inverters.

An mppt can’t fix poor design choices.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.