question

boxie avatar image
boxie asked

Charging infrequently used car battery

Hi, New to solar use. I have a BlueSolar controller Duo and 18v 100w solar panel.

I wanted one terminal to go to my car starting battery, as I only use the car once(ish) a week and the battery is always flat.

What do i need to add to the charger to enable me to plug and unplug the charger from my car without having to disconnect the solar panel from the charger etc which i understand is the order you are supposed to do it in.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
furyjk98 avatar image
furyjk98 answered ·

Connect another set of cables to the car battery make it an Anderson connection and attach it somewhere where you can easily plug in and plug out the connections without opening the hood, or you can use a crocodile clamp and directly connect it to the battery under the hood from the Charge controller.

On the solar side: Connect the Solar Panels to a DC MCB and then to the Charge controller.

Now, whenever you want to charge the batteries, do it in the following steps.
Connect the Anderson connector / Crocodile clamps to the battery.
Turn on the DC MCB of the Solar Cable.

While removing it:
First, turn off the DC MCB of the solar cable.
Remove the Anderson connector / Crocodile clamps from the battery.

Note: Make sure you do not connect the battery in reverse polarisation. Otherwise, you will melt the fuse of the Charge controller.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boxie avatar image
boxie answered ·

Thank you, that was a lot simpler than i was thinking.

2 |3000