question

zebus avatar image
zebus asked

Will my victron Blue Smart Battery Charger IP22 12/30 cope with 510amp hr of agm

slowly upgrading solar a motorhome setup,, and wondering will the ip22 12 /30 will cope with a increase in the battery bank for time being ,, from 340 amphrs of agm to 510,, as i understand it would be just the time involved to charge the batterys to full .(i will add another 12/30 to the setup in the future, apperantly its ok to run 2 chargers as it supposedly dosnt interfere with there output ), Thanks for any input ...

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

It will. But if your usage doesn't change, neither will the charge time.Set absorption time as high as you can for lead

If the batteries are lead based be careful of mixing old and new.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

zebus avatar image zebus commented ·
Thanks kevgermany ,, sounds great ,, was 2 140amphr agm,s for last 10 years , just replaced with 3 170 amphr agm's so sounds like it will be all good ,, thanks agian !
0 Likes 0 ·
Danny Evans avatar image
Danny Evans answered ·

I had exactly that setup previously. Bluesmart 30a 12v charger and 510 Ah (3x 170Ah in parallel) of AGM batteries connected.
I would suggest a larger charger if you have the means to use one but in practice the 30a worked well for me. I used that charger in a few odd situations and it never let me down.
Most of the information I found suggests 50A - 100A charging current for such a bank.
Perhaps just run it as is and see if it performs to your liking. If you run the bank low and want to get it back up to voltage in a hurry a larger current charger will make a noticeable difference. Bigger charger current will require bigger cabling too.

2 |3000