question

peter-horne avatar image
peter-horne asked

Help with correct installation of work van inverter charger and DC-DC smart alternator charger.

Hi all. Hoping that some kind soul can help me here. I have a 2017 Mercedes Vito work van. I spend a significant amount of time working where there is no power and need to install an inverter charger system.

I have bought a TR Smart DC-DC charger 12/12 30 and a MultiPlus Inverter/Charger - 12V 800VA/35A and a BT Smart battery protect 65A to protect over and under voltage conditions from a new 100Ah leisure battery (Standard sealed).

I'm really struggling to understand how to wire the units to achieve both smart alternator DC charging and multiplus shore power charging.

Apologies if this seems a silly question but really hoping someone could draft me out a schematic and offer some suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Pete

orion-tr smartBattery Protectmultiple inverters
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
peter-horne avatar image
peter-horne answered ·

Any one able to help here please?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

It's really out of scope for here, but.

Orion input goes to starter battery.

Orion output goes to leisure battery.

Multiplus DC connections go to leisure battery.

Multiplus AC input connections go to a CEE 16A input socket which you need to install. (In UK also known as commando socket).

Multiplus output goes via a breaker/RCD to your AC circuit(s).

Do not mix Line and neutral on the AC circuits.Multiplus will connect neutral and earth automatically unless there's an AC in feed.

Use busbars for the battery connections.

Fuse battery positive connections, at both ends if it's a long run from the multi to the battery.

Size cables for max load according to one of the online calculators.

Fit a good quality battery isolator switch to the leisure battery positive.

Pay attention to earthing/grounding. There's a good chance of an earth point in your van. There are posts here saying the sprinters have one. Negative of battery(can be from the busbar), case of multiplus must be wired to a single earth point. This is the van chassis/body/starter battery negative.

Set battery parameters in the multi and Orion according to the manuals and battery manuals. Set auto start/engine detection in the Orion.

2 |3000