question

Fideri avatar image
Fideri asked

BMV or simply BMS?

Happy New Year everybody.

I have read the responses here https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/232776/does-a-smart-shunt-or-battery-monitor-become-unnec.html to a very related dilemma and other resources. The consensus seems to be "it all depends on the quality of your BMS".

What would people recommend if I'm using BSL Batt lipo batteries with built-in BMS?

For background, I have:

1. Three solar arrays

2. Two 250/100 and one 250/85 Victron MPPTs

3. One Cerbo GX

4. Two Victron Quattros 10kva each

5. One BSL battery bank with 8 modules

I can get a BMV-712 if I need it.

Fideri

BMV Battery MonitorBMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Fideri

I have found with the BSLs that if you are charging hard off solar (and sometimes grid) then the solar/grid drops off/out, it can early trigger 100% SOC. But you will see the battery draw huge amps for a long time after that and still rise in voltage.

You can see it in the SOC curve.or lack there of.

At the end of the day, it is up to you though. If you know the 'quirks' of the battery then you can deal with it. So yes it does depend on the BMS and then also how the pack communicates. For some banks they report the lowest battery others it is the strongest battery that reports.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.