question

amcarter333 avatar image
amcarter333 asked

Setting for Multiplus switch when using Digital Multi Control panel?

I have a 12v Multiplus 2000 installed on my boat. We also have a Victron remote Digital Multi Control Panel connected to the Multi. Normally, when the boat is docked and connected to shore power, I set the Control Panel switch to "Charger Only" so the house battery bank is always in "charge" mode and to avoid depleting the battery bank if shore power was ever lost.

My question is... what is the proper setting for the main power switch on the Multi box? Should it be set to "ON" or "Charger Only"? I want to be sure the batteries get charged AND the Inverter will NOT turn ON automatically if shore power to the boat is lost.

Digital Multi Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Read the manual.

With a remote switch or DMC connected the switch on the MultiPlus must always be ON. You also have to set the DIP switches correctly.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

amcarter333 avatar image
amcarter333 answered ·

Thanks. You confirmed my assumption. Related question, when our boat is OFF shore power and I flip the DMC toggle switch to ON to activate the Inverter, the Inverter comes on properly, but the LED "Inverter" light on the DMC panel does not come ON. I think I recall from the past that this LED light always came ON when the Inverter was ON.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Mine does.
0 Likes 0 ·
grantg avatar image
grantg answered ·

Hello Listers,

This is a slight hijack, please forgive. I have the exact same setup in my camper. I installed the inverter first, and it has been great. I added a DMC gx and the current control LED displays and rotary knob seems to work, but the on-off function does not. I have tried another new DMC, but got the same result. Above, Mathias made mention of, setting the dip switches and have read other mention of that. After searching to frustration, I cannot find any documentation on dip switch settings for the DMC. On my Multi, just below the two RJ45 female plugs, is a label that says "remote off-on". It would appear to be a simple jumper between two terminals. Any guidance on this would be appreciated and if there is reference in the documents, that would be great.

TIA, Grant

1 comment
2 |3000

Dip switches are in the multi, not DMC. Covered in the multiplus manual.

The jumper is for a simple remote on/off connection. It should be left connected as is.

If the LED indicators aren't working properly and the cable connection is properly made, please contact the dealer for warranty service

0 Likes 0 ·
grantg avatar image
grantg answered ·

Thanks for the response. Yes, I was aware of the dip switch location, just didn't convey that in my post. In my past, I owned a marine service business and have installed dozens of inverters, usually Heart Interface or Magnum. But technology has past me by as that was 20 years ago.

Questions just to make sure: are there any settings whatsoever on the inverter that need to be made to make the DMC work? What was Mathias referring to regarding the dip switches? (see post above). And finally in my multiplus II manual, Page 8, section 4.4.3, regarding the remote control, it says, "Please see section 5.4 for appropriate DIP switch settings". If you look at that section, it makes zero reference to the DMC.

Thanks so much for your help and patience with me on this. I will try another RJ45 before I rip the inverter out of a difficult spot.

Best Regards, Grant

1 comment
2 |3000

The only setting on the multi for DMC is to make sure override by remote is tick using VE.Config and a MK3 to USB cable.
0 Likes 0 ·
grantg avatar image
grantg answered ·

Well guess what: My issue was a bad cable. Not sure if I damaged it during install, or if it was defective; it was a brand new cable. This was simple stupid. Thanks for the replies everyone. Grant

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic