question

yuru avatar image
yuru asked

autonomous solar system for my house and land

Hi , I have been searching information about autonomous ( 100% ) solar panels system but most of companies doesn't offer clear explanation and proper hardware for that, ast least in my country.

I finally found a guy on youtube, a professional , who recommends two brands : victron and studer for what I am looking for. But I see you need more than one device to run an autonomus house with solar panels and batteries.

Regarding Victron , what are the minimum set of devices I need to get to manage both my solar panel and batteries ? I thought at first that multiplus II + a module for mppt will suffice but now I just heard about rs devices as well and I am a bit confuse.

I think about building that kind of system :

12 up to 14 vertex S+ panel ( or equivalent if you think of a better choice )

2 pylontech us3000c or us5000

and the necessary victron stuff (48v , location : Europe )

thanks in adance for your help

smart solar set-up helpsetup
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@yuru

The Multi RS is the simplest to use and set up.

Use 2x us5000 pylons minimum.

Panel choice largely depends on local suppliers and configuration for the mppt chosen.

The manual for the RS and the online mppt calculator will help with panel configuration.

Autonomy is a different question though. Usually it means that there has been a power audit and you know what the system needs to produce and length of autonomy is determined. For example 24 hours 36hours? If you use more than 10kwh of power at night (not referring to the dark but when your solar stops producing enough to cover load and then start producing enough to cover loads and charge the battery again) then 2x us5000s is not enough.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Relying completely on solar (and battery storage) may be an expensive solution. You'd need a battery bank to cover your longest outage and probably more solar energy production so you can catch up before the next storm.

Even a small generator could help through long periods without solar. Your battery bank can handle peak consumption needs so the generator only needs to be large enough for your average consumption.

As Alexandra says, you need to do a power and energy analysis: peak power consumption (in watts) will tell you how big in inverter you need; energy is your daily consumption in watt-hours will indicate how much battery storage you will need. It's useful to calculate energy consumption separately for daylight and night time (no sun) portions of the day so you can get an idea of battery state of charge during a typical day.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic