question

prairiepower avatar image
prairiepower asked

Will 120V MultiPlus II & Qauttro charge a lithium battery that's gone into LVD?

Hello,

New to the forum. I've tried to find this in manuals and searches but figured I'd pose it here to get my first post in also, and test this experience.

I'll have a Victron Multiplus II 12/3000 or Quattro 12/5000VA (120V) with 1 or 2 Lithium Batteries (with their own internal BMS's). Pretend I let the batteries go down to 9V due to some DC loads being left on and the BMS' go into low voltage protect mode (leaving no DC bus voltage at their terminals). If I plug the Inverter/Chargers into shore power, will their chargers activate or will they not be able to because they don't see DC Bus voltage?

They wouldn't have to put out a charging voltage for more than a second or 3, for the batteries to see the charge presented to their terminals and leave their low-voltage protection state.

If the inverter/chargers would not, that's a bit frustrating, though I see why they wouldn't. It would be nice for them to enter a sort of "search charge" mode though... putting out a feeler charge voltage for a millisecond every second (or whatever) to see if something is out there to take up the charge.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm sure I could ask my Victron sales rep this. But again, I thought it would be a good experience for me to dip my toes into the Victron Community waters.

Thanks again.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

No.

In LVD, the BMS will show a very low voltage, and the inverter/charger needs to see a battery at or above the inverter LVD.

Furthermore, the act of connecting the battery to the inverter would engage BMS short circuit protection when the inverter caps try to charge.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.