question

rudolf avatar image
rudolf asked

Victron smartsollar bulk mode vs batery temperature

Hi,
I would like to ask you for support.

I have 2 sollar total 300Wp, paralel connected, 180Ah lifepo4 Ultimatrone and smart sollar victron 100/20 controler + smart solar inteligent sensor with 5C temperatire limitation for charging.

Week ago, i changed battery from AGM to lifepo4, changed setup on my regulator/solar controler.
Yesterday, changed (220V). In this case, i had to cover sollar and turn off charging and discharging on battery. Thank I connect everything back.

..the controller started flashing yellow, probably due to the loss of the reference point.

Today it was between 3-5°C and VERY cloudy.

The sun wasn't shining much, the regulator was reading up to 20.9V on the solar panel, it was in bulk mode, but it didn't charge anything to battery. The BULK LED on the regulator flashed every 3 seconds and no current was flowing into the battery.

It's alright? How does the situation manifest itself when the battery temperature is lower than the temperature set on the sensor and regulator, how does the regulator at such a moment signal this situation when the sun is shining, but the temperature is lower and does not allow charging. Is it the blinking bulk led diodes? Or is there some other problem? I also save a couple of screenshots of the regulator settings and the situation when the bulk was flashing. Thank you
screenshot-20231122-125624.png

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Rudolf

Is your app and mppt up to date in firmware?

Re Bulk offset (unless you have changed it with expert mode) is 0.4v under float. Go to the expert and change/check that it is set to 0.1v.

Your float is set to 13.5v and your battery is 13.25v. maybe it has not stopped because of low temp it has not started because of not hitting re bulk yet.

It is likely you are used the the AGMS voltage dropping faster and so always needing a charge in the morning, so would always trigger a new charge cycle. Lithium is a much flatter voltage.

8 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rudolf avatar image rudolf commented ·

@Alexandra It make a sense,

I didn't check this, I assumed that this setting is done by switching the battery type on controler in the battery preset menu... I'll check and if necessary set it, I'll give it a go. Thanks for the tip.

0 Likes 0 ·
rudolf avatar image rudolf rudolf commented ·
and I hope...that is updated. All updated i did, when controler ask for it. Check too
0 Likes 0 ·

@Alexandra

So I change temperature limit in controler to 4C from 5C and conroler start charging ,today is cloudy..1000047662.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1000047662.png (164.4 KiB)
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ rudolf commented ·

@Rudolf

I had a strong internal debated about suggesting doing the 1° drop as a temporary troubleshooting step.

Where does it get its temperature information from?

The internal measurement is not really good enough for low cut off protection. If you smart network with a smart battery sense it would probably be better or the BMV. The manual describes a few options.

0 Likes 0 ·
rudolf avatar image rudolf Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Alexandra Thank you for support. Temperature information (for the purposes of the controller) is taken from the "VE smart battery sense", which is located on the battery terminal (+and-) and networked with the controller.

At the same time, the BMS battery is prohibited (from the manufacturer) charged at 0°C and below (the battery is heated and the manufacturer, ultimatron, allows this battery to be charged at temperatures of 0°C and above. see info from the manufacturer datasheet :12 V 100 Ah Under Seat Battery Datasheet.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·

@Alexandra and here is screen of network between sensor and controler and screen of charge temperature range of my ultimatrone lifepo4 datasheet.bms-ultimatrone.jpgery charge temperature :screenshot-20231122-124342.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ rudolf commented ·
So you should be good then, it allows 0°C charge, you have a good way for the mppt to know. You can set it lower.
0 Likes 0 ·
rudolf avatar image rudolf Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Alexandra Thank you, i feell safe 4°C, because when you start charging in winter, and together with heating of car, air will be warmer, then internal part of lifepo4..and controler sensore is placet on top of battery, not inside..so there should be temperarature dif between in and out temperature of battery. I know, there is active BSM, but for sure. 4C is safe, maybe 3C, but not lower I think.. but this sensor, I bought because controler cut off, for example in situation, when sun is shining, controler charging, and in winter, temperature is the temperature drops during charging and full illumination of panel. Then BMS should cut off charging in second, but it is not good for controler, i Thins. So,i that's why I also placed a controller sensor that disconnects itself before the battery reaches 0C and the BMS is charged..? something like backup :)

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Include settings with EXPERT mode enabled.

2 |3000

rudolf avatar image
rudolf answered ·

I don't have expert mod on, only "lifepo4" mode.

A temperature limit of 5°C is set here for the start of charging. Yesterday were between 3-4,9°C

The question was simple, how does the controller behave if the temperature is at the limit and it could charge, but it won't charge because of the temperature. Is it voiced somewhere? Or, like in my case, set bulk mode, but the blue led flashes in 3s on the LED panel, so charging is interrupted? (just because of the temperature?).

In such a situation, I would expect at least information that charging would be possible, but it is stopped due to low battery temperature.screenshot-20231122-125632.png

2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

The manual on page 36 lists the LED codes, three blinking LED means the MPPT is working OK but there is not enough power to charge the battery, therefore I assume that this error code also means low temperature.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual_SmartSolar_MPPT_75-10_up_to_100-20/29694-MPPT_solar_charger_manual-pdf-en.pdf

2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

If you are at or below 5°C, you will not charge.

2 |3000