question

charlv avatar image
charlv asked

can the Orion TR smart be used to charge an empty second battery from a full main battery?

I have a dual battery in my vehicle that charges while we drive. I would like to charge the battery in the camper trailer, using the dual/spare battery from the vehicle while the vehicle is not running i.e. drain the spare battery by transferring the charge to the camper battery. This is required when there is no sun for extended periods and solar is not working. Would the Irion TR smart 12/12 18 or 30 accomplish that. Can one set the under voltage shut down at different levels on the Orion so it does not damage the source battery?

orion-tr smartorion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Should work.

If you download the Victron connect App, you'll find it has a demo library. Use that to play with the settings, it won't do anything except simulate, but you'll get a good feel for how to set it up.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

charlv avatar image
charlv answered ·

I eventually got to speak to a knowledgeable retailer. The Orion will boost the Voltage +/- 1.5 - 2 Volt on 12V system. Did a test and it does that, but required fairly new and larger battery to do that. Also had to downgrade top 12/12/ 18 to not drop voltage from supply battery too much during operation. Upgraded to LifePo4 as well and seems to work well

2 |3000