question

Ovidiu Stan avatar image
Ovidiu Stan asked

WIFI / LAN Temperature sensors for Cerbo / Node-Red

Hi guys. I want to make an automation on a clien't site and I need some temperature sensors which I can connect to LAN or WiFi and to get their values in Cerbo/Node-Red. The distance from my Cerbo installation to the sensors is around 100 meters, but I have some building in between so I don't think ruuvi sensors will work and I also cannot use direct wires/cables. I also tried SOnOff sensors, which can be connected to the network, but I can't read their values in Node-Red. Any suggestions ?

cerbo gxNode-REDtemperature
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @Ovidiu Stan

Shelly devices (similar to sonoff) have HTTP endpoint you could query. You'll be able to get data from them via HTTP node. I use this for the smart switches (to control turning on a immersion water heater but temp sensors will work exactly the same).

I'm surprised this wasn't possible with sonoff. Maybe it would work but with custom sonoff firmware tasmota if supported. (I've not tested that just guessing)

EDIT: To get the data into cerbo natively/not sure Node red. You'd need a custom driver to support the shelly temperature sensors i believe. Community have already made ones that work with shelly energy meters so you could use that as a good guide in addition to the dummy one victorn provides as an example. However this is more involved/requires knowledge of python.

howto add a driver to Venus · victronenergy/venus Wiki · GitHub

https://github.com/victronenergy/velib_python/blob/master/dbusdummyservice.py

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

@Ovidiu Stan @matt1309

Moving to modifications space for Node-Red support

2 |3000