question

rocketskies avatar image
rocketskies asked

2018 F150 Smart Alternator settings for orion smart DC-DC islolated charger

I need some help with the settings of the smart alternator settings. The charger seems to work initially for maybe 15-20 mins then stops charging or low currents. It seems the alternator stops providing current. I think I need to adjust my smart alternator settings in the app. I am hoping someone has an f150 could provide what works for them.

alternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
djohnson2061 avatar image
djohnson2061 answered ·

I have a 2005 F150 with a regular alternator and a Victron 12/12-18A . The recommended settings were no where close to what I needed to make it work. With a large current, the input voltage to the DC-DC charger dropped as low as 10.2 v due to the voltage drop over the factory 7-pin wiring (10 gauge fused at 30 amps). This was causing it to shut down, then cycle back on over and over. So, I set my lock-out voltage to 9.5 v and my shutdown voltage to 10.0 volts. It now transforms the input of 10.2 v to 13.8 and charges at 15-17 amps. The engine shutdown detection is also working, although I don't know why--I don't know why the voltage ever drops lower than 10 v to trigger the shutdown.

Anyhow, try turning of engine shutdown detection and disable or set the lock-out voltage low, then see if it works. Then, turn the engine shutdown detection on and and set the shut down voltage very low and see if it still works.

Derek

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic