question

martin-modr avatar image
martin-modr asked

SSR relay with Node-Red

Hi, I am using 3x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000 with Cerbo GX.I am programming the system in Node-Red. I control the supply to the boiler according to the time of day, excess electricity production and SoC. Boiler power is 1.33 kW for each phase, I use only one phase.

It is possible to buy a simple SSR relay?

I would like to use Node-Red to reduce the supply to the boiler, easily in steps of 0/10/20..90/100%.

Thanks.

Node-RED
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @Martin Modr

I do this using a Shelly smart switch and a normal immersion heater, they're pretty affordable. Controlled via node red http node, the shelly smart switch works on LAN without cloud so then the boiler doesn't need to be close to GX device.

My only comment is how does your boiler work? Mine for example cannot use variable power, if that's what you're planning when you say "steps of 0/10/20... "etc.

Most I've seen are simply turned on or off rather than variable power and to get variable usage you just have to limit how long they're on/off.

Or by steps is that what you mean turn boiler on for less time in lower state of charges.

I personally only use mine to turn on water heater when I'm about to export power to the grid.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.