question

shbs avatar image
shbs asked

Water heating diverter discharges battery instead of only using excess power.

I have just added the Multiplus and batteries to the system below but my 6kW solar diverter goes to full power as soon as I switch it on and it starts discharging the battery. It worked fine until I installed the Multiplus and battery and it still works fine if I disconnect the batteries but as soon as the batteries are connected it goes to full power. Why would the diverter think more power is being exported just because the batteries are connected?

multiplus.jpg

Hot Water Diversion
multiplus.jpg (49.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
sean avatar image
sean answered Ā·

What brand diverter ?

.... edit, what was the logic behind installing it on essential loads ?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered Ā·

Background is all explained here <g>.

2 |3000

shbs avatar image
shbs answered Ā·

Thanks to Sharpener for providing the link.

The diverter is a MK2PVRouter which I built from one of Robin Emley's kits. It has been working very well and I wish I had known about them before I bought two Immersuns and an iBoost which have all failed miserably.

The diverter was on the main consumer unit before I installed the Multiplus and I just fed the consumer unit from the Multiplus. I could separate it if necessary but I don't see why I would need to.

2 |3000

valipopescu avatar image
valipopescu answered Ā·

I think you have to connect "Water Heating Diverter" to "Loads" not to "Essential Loads".The connection must be made through a contactor, that will activate when the SOC is 100%. A relay from Multiplus can be used to control the contactor.

2 |3000

fellside avatar image
fellside answered Ā·

Connect the diverter on the grid side of the ET112.(diverter CT on grid side of ET112 as shown) Then the victron system won't know it exists. You can then do tank boots from the grid if required. When the battery is full and the system starts to export the diverter will detect the excess and put in in you tank. You can also deliberately discharge your battery into the grid and have it divert the energy to you tank early in the day when you know it's going to be a good sun day. When you tank is full the system will then export to the grid as normal.

2 |3000

shbs avatar image
shbs answered Ā·

Thanks for your answers.

I now have my diverter working.

I thought I would have to do as Valipopescu suggested but that would mean that I could be exporting excess energy until the battery was fully charged. The Multiplus can only use 3.3kW to charge the battery and I may be generating 8kW and have to export 4.7kW until the battery is charged.

I haven't visited the forum for a while and didn't see Fellsides solution but I figured out that was the correct thing to do and Fellside was absolutely right and it has worked. I had to lay a separate SWA cable to my boiler house solely for the diverter and connect it to an MCB on the grid side of the ET112 as Fellside suggested. The cable and glands cost about Ā£60 but I don't think it will take long to recoup that cost and I'm much happier not giving electricity away. I'm on the FIT deal where they assume 50% is exported even if you actually export nothing at all and my aim is to export nothing at all!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic