question

rulexi avatar image
rulexi asked

What is the USB current required for the GX Touch 70?

I want to add a USB plug to power the Touch 70 rather than run a dedicated USB extension to the CERBO GX. I want to make certain there is enough available power for the Touch when needed. I could not find any specs on the Touch products.

Thank you

touchscreen
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Rulexi from the GX comparison web page

Cerbo GX power draw without GX Touch mounted: around 2.8W. With GX Touch connected, and backlight off: 3.8W. Backlight at max intensity: 4.8W

That figure is probably for the GX touch 50, the "70" might draw an extra watt or 2.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rulexi avatar image
rulexi answered ·

Thank you.

8W/5V = <1 amp. I can install a USB power port of ~2 amps and that should be sufficient. If it is not enough current I will repost a correction.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
The screen is normally powered by the Cerbo, so the values from @klim8skeptic will include Cerbo as well as the display. So lower than you expect.
0 Likes 0 ·
adamszabo avatar image
adamszabo answered ·

Powering the GX Touch 70 from the Cerbo GX USB will not work correctly. Cerbo can supply 500mA via USB, but the Touch 70 consumes 1000-1500mA alone at full brightness, I measured it with a USB power meter. If you power the 7" display from Cerbo, it will blink on high brightness levels, or when Adaptive Brightness is enabled. However, it will work fine at low brightness. I recommend you to use external USB power capable of handling 1.5A (or more) to power the GX Touch 70. Someone from Victron @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) could review the high amount of issues here on Comminity regarding this topic, and they could include the necessary information in the manual.

2 comments
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
Most of the reported issues are from people trying to extend the HDMI (and the USB) which is not supported - the Cerbo dedicated power USB port has no issue powering the GX Touch 70 when the two units are installed correctly.
2 Likes 2 ·
rulexi avatar image rulexi commented ·
Thank you sir, I did end up using the BlueSea 2.0A USB hub closer to the 70 and it is working fine. I appreciate all the help.
0 Likes 0 ·
rulexi avatar image
rulexi answered ·

I added the external WifI and Bluetooth to the Cerbo USB module. I think those additional components cut the deliverable power margin down in addition I had a 15' run to the Torch. Happy as a clam for the moment.

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
Keep in mind that extending the HDMI from the Cerbo to the Touch is not supported, and may cause problems for you in the future ranging from damage to the video driver in the Cerbo, burning out the Touch, or inconsistent/inaccurate touch instance capture. These issues may present immediately, or after some time, or not at all - some users get lucky and experience no issues at all!
0 Likes 0 ·
rulexi avatar image
rulexi answered ·

Good to know, thank you I appreciate the information.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic