question

bitkid avatar image
bitkid asked

MPPT in parallel with IP65 Blue Smart Charger - should I use it in Charger or Power Supply mode?

Hello... I have a wireless antenna running of DC power from Orion DC/DC

There is lead/acid battery, 2 small panels and AC source with IP65 Blue Smart charger.

Blue Smart charger and MPPT are connected in parallel to charge the lead/acid battery. The AC source is very unreliable, so that's the reason for the battery and 2 small panels.

The antenna uses about 50W continuously.

Right now I have the Blue Smart set to charger mode, but it looks like it's taking breaks between the charge cycles so the battery voltage sags between the cycles, especially in the night?

Is it better to set the IP65 Blue Smart charger to power supply mode? In this way, should I set it to float voltage or higher or lower and let the MPPT take care of the Absorption top-up in order to prevent overcharging? The IP65 Blue Smart charger will be plugged in 24/7 except the occasional black out.

Thanks for suggestions

MPPT SmartSolarorion dc-dclead-acid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

If you set it in power supply with a voltage just below the float set in the MPPT, it will allow the MPPT to override when there's enough light.

It's worth studying the MPPT manual to understand when the MPPT will kick in.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bitkid avatar image
bitkid answered ·

Thanks for replying.

I have been to the site few times today to play with the settings and I had it in power supply mode for a while... with mixed results. The charger both in charger and power supply mode stops charging multiple time thru-out the day. But it seems the major problem is that the voltage in the line often drops below 180V and that's when the IP65 Blue Smart Charger stops working altogether. And even when the voltage is slightly above 180V it only charges with fraction of the max. output.

I have ordered today the Phoenix Smart IP43 Charger 12/30(1+1) 120-240V which has much higher voltage range. Once it arrives, I will replace the IP65 Blue Smart Charger with this one and see it if makes a difference.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron DC to DC Converters Product Range

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic