question

delica4wd avatar image
delica4wd asked

Orion DC DC Charger (Non Isolated) Not Working Since BMV-712 Installed.

Help! I have a simple Camper Van setup with a secondary Lithium Battery. I'm charging it from a Solar MPPT Controller (Victron) and also through an Orion non-isolated Dc Dc Charger. I'm having problems since installing a BMV-712 smart-shunt.

I'm hoping I don't need to buy an Isolated DC DC Charger now that I have a BMV-712. My Non -Isolated Charger doesn't seem to be working if I connect the 0V to my Secondary Battery -Ve directly. If I connect the 0V to the load side of the shunt, the Charger doesn't even seem to power up. (No bluetooth LED etc).

I have an MPPT Solar charger connected through the BMV-712 no problem - all working fine, its just the DC DC Charger.

Do I need to buy another (Isolated ) Charger or is there a way I can use the non-isolated charger?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
delica4wd avatar image
delica4wd answered ·

I think I have worked it out. I didn't have a chassis connection on the Shunt (Load side). Can anyone confirm this is correct?

1693271943585.png

1693271943585.png (50.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

This is ok. Would be better if both the positives from the secondary battery were fused at the battery.

2 |3000

delica4wd avatar image
delica4wd answered ·

Thanks Kevgermany. Yes the drawing is a little misleading as the fuses are actually at the battery. I added the chassis connection yesterday afternoon and yes it all works great now. The installation manual for the BMV-712 doesn't make it clear, but now I think about it - it's kind of a no-brainer.

2 |3000