question

matthias-nagel avatar image
matthias-nagel asked

Maximum input voltage for Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30

What is the maximum input voltage for the Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30?

I understand that (as the name suggest) it is intended to be used with a 12V source as input. Nonetheless, the input voltage may vary within a certain range and I wonder what this input range is.

The data sheet mentions 10-17V as input range. However, the manual says that the "alternator-on" detection threshold can be set between 10-17V. The latter suggests that the Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 might actually be able to handle an even higher input voltage, but only the threshold value is limited to 17V. In some posts within this forum (however I cannot find it again), I read that the input range is rated up to 70V. Is that true?

I assume that the Orion-Tr 12/12-30 used a step-down (aka "buck") converter internally. What can the Orion-Tr 12/12-30 really handle on its input?

orion-tr smartvoltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

as the spec sheet says its operating range is 10 to 17 volts, it would shutdown if the voltage goes over 17v and it will be damaged if a spick voltage goes above its max limit 70v this is not its operating range

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.