question

pokerfjes avatar image
pokerfjes asked

Orion-Tr 12/12-30 max output voltage

I've got a 4S Li-Ion battery bank that I want to charge from the starter battery/alternator. I need the Orion-Tr to output at least 16.4V for an optimal charge.

The Orion-Tr spec (and print on the unit itself) says output voltage 10-15V. However, when I use the Orion-Tr in the VictronConnect demo library, it will happily let me set the absorption voltage to 16.4V. Can anyone confirm what the max voltage output of the Orion-Tr really is? I'm about to order a unit, but thought I'd check in here first. Thanks!

orion-tr smartvoltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
pokerfjes avatar image
pokerfjes answered ·

Well, I can update the answer to this myself - after purchasing an Orion-Tr Smart unit: The 15V max as printed on the unit is the output limit. The VictronConnect app is wrong.

Dear Victron Support - why does your VictronConnect app in demo mode allow me to adjust voltage to 16.4V, while the real thing only allows me to adjust output voltage to 15V.

I love the way you've made the demo solution in the app, but it has to be identical to the real world hardware. I have no idea whether the 15V max for a 12/12-30 Orion-Tr is a hardware limitation or not, but many of us DIY'ers are making custom Li-Ion solutions - and we need those few volts extra.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.