question

mickymac avatar image
mickymac asked

Lights Flickering in ESS mode

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help with this one. We have a Multiplus 48/3000/35 connected in ESS to our local grid with the ET340 (in Single phase) mode.

During the day when our grid tied PV system is generating and our grid voltages are generally lower, we don't notice any issues.

However at night when the Multiplus is supplying power to minimise our grid imports, we've noticed that as soon as a high draw load (i.e. a microwave) finishes, the lights flicker considerably until the Victron reduces it's level of output and the grid gets back to it's reference point, after which it's all good until a high demand appliance stops again. It doesn't seem to happen when the appliance first starts up as I'm assuming the grid is supplying the inertia at this point.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause of this and any suggestions to fix it?

Multiplus-IIESSgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
mickymac avatar image
mickymac answered ·

Hi All, just incase someone comes across this in the future, I’m pleased to say I’ve got an update.

A couple of months ago our local electricity supplier changed a setting in the distribution transformer which services our house and magically since we haven’t had the issue occur since!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Are these dimmable LED lights?
Do they flicker when the dimmer is at 100% ON?

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

A microwave is also quite a large load on a small inverter, is the battery voltage remaining constant?

It isn’t unusual to see leds dip as a big load is turned on but as long as the battery is coping they shouldn’t keep flickering while it is on.

2 |3000

ffvictron avatar image
ffvictron answered ·

there are some type of lights that are more sensitive to the power supply than others, I only use phillips lights and the leds have no issues but we have big old fashion type bulbs also phillips and they do flicker when big loads start. They are expensive enough that I wont change them though. lol. quattro ii 5000/48v off grid.

2 |3000

mickymac avatar image
mickymac answered ·

Hi, thanks for everyone's comments. The LED's in question are these ones: https://www.clipsal.com/products/detail?CatNo=CLITPDL1C2&itemno=CLITPDL1C2&tab-document-1=0

Whilst the LED's are dimmable, we don't have any dimmers on them (i.e. just a regular switch).

To confirm these LED's along with all the loads are connected on the AC-In side of the Multiplus, but I'm wondering if maybe the Multiplus is just reacting too slowly when the large loads stop and subsequently is pushing up the grid voltage perhaps?

2 |3000