question

jamierobinson avatar image
jamierobinson asked

ESS Assistant

Hi All.

Can anyone tell me how the ESS assistant actually works? I am consulting to try and add a hydro electric plant to a Quattro and BYD battery set up. The controller for the hydro will throttle the output of the machine based on frequency. If I connect the hydro to AC out and add the ESS assistant, is the frequency shift linear to regulate battery charging and if the frequency is increased, how does the Quattro remain connected to the grid? I would have thought the Quattro would have had do disconnect from the grid if the frequencies on AC In and AC Out do not match exactly.

Thanks in Advance.

Jamie

ess settings
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Frequency shift only works off grid, as long as the grid is available surplus energy will be feedback to the grid.

Only Fronius PV inverters can be controlled for zero-feedin.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jamierobinson avatar image
jamierobinson answered ·

HI Matthias.

Thanks for the answer. OK, I understand that frequency shift only works off grid. Makes sense. Why then in the ESS assistant, do you need to specify if there is any PV connected to the AC out if it does not have any control over the PV inverter output? Is this just for monitoring purposes? or is this to provide protection in the event of grid failure?

Thanks again.

Jamie

2 |3000

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

<or is this to provide protection in the event of grid failure?>

Yes, when in grid failure/UPS/Inverter Only mode it can and does control the output of PV connected to AC-Out, using the frequency control parameters you set up in the Assistant.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic