question

mito avatar image
mito asked

ESS Grid Paralel during grid glitches

Need some help to understand following issue
In a Grid paralel ESS no feed-in configuration with a Quattro, Cerbo, Pylon batteries , Energy Meter, no Solar.
Is there any way to avoid Inverter shut down and allow loads receive energy during the glitch, when there is a few seconds grid shortage?.
Shutdown is inmediate or can be configured?

ess settings
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @mito,

By glitch i assume you mean issue with incoming supply from the grid?

I dont think you can.

My basic understanding is that the Quattro is shutting down based on grid code. ie regulations of your specific grid. The incoming supply is falling outside of grid code is what is shutting down the inverter output

I dont think you can edit this (and definitely can't edit this and be compliant), however it's probably unsafe to edit even if you could, ie delaying shutdown inverter output could shock someone down the line on the grid.

Think your only option to keeps loads on during glitch is to use ACOUT/critical loads ie non grid parallel.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mito avatar image
mito answered ·

Thanks Matt,You ae right. Regulations provide safety requirements and that is ok.
But my question was related to the time that ESS takes to provide actions to shutdown Quattro, because I don´t think that "immediately" can be the answer.
In the Energy Meters specs (image anex) shows the refresh rates to stablish communications. So despite of regulatory polices there is a delay to shutdown plus the Cerbo delay.
I will check in Lab mockup, what happens when grid failure (Glitch) is less than the Energy Monitor delay to take action (shut down).
My original interest was to understand if those glitches can ocurr without shuting down inverters, as far as these glitches are shorter than the specified refresh rates.

1686867354447.png

1686867354447.png (145.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·

Hi @mito

I see your logic that if the glitch is less than refresh rate of energy meter then surely ESS/inverter will not even be informed and hence continue to operate.

However I believe the multiplus itself also internally also detects for "glitches" with the supply and not just relying on energy meter data.

A quick test/proof for this is to turn off grid supply after the grid energy meter but before the inverter on ACIN, if the multiplus purely relied on energy meter for detecting glitches you would continue to see power output power, as the energy meter is reporting supply is fine however this is does not happen, the multiplus shutdowns as it internally detects the supply is disconnected.

So it's less about the energy meter detecting the glitch and more the inverter internally detecting them, so unfortunately i dont think you can stop inverter outputting power on ACIN during a glitch, if outside of the defined thresholds. (ACOUT1 seems your only solution)

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Safety issues aside for the moment, consider the situation where the grid goes down for a brief period. At that instant, if the Multi did not shut down, it would be tasked with powering the grid to maintain voltage. This could require hundreds or thousands of amps. There's no way for the Multi to support that amount of power.

The immediate shutdown is required for safety issues so that the Multi does not feed energy into the grid.

The only way to do what you are suggesting is to setup a micro-grid with a separate disconnect between your loads and the grid. In that case, it would be easier to just put the loads on the output side of the Multi.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic