question

bjs1 avatar image
bjs1 asked

Multiplus won't charge on generator

I currently have a Victron Multiplus Compact 12/2000/80-50 120 inverter/charger c/w Victron Digital Multi Control installed in my motorhome. The battery bank consists of 4 x 100 Ah Battle Born Lithium batteries. The charger has been configured to match the batteries per the Battle Born settings.

The inverter works great for the loads I need to supply.

The charger works great when fed via an AC main...puts out the spec'd current and does a great job of charging/maintaining the batteries.

This all goes sideways when I feed the unit from my Cummins ONAN 4kW gas generator. I can only get a few DC amps of charging current flowing before the inverter/charger trips. I am in the 'Charger Only" setting on the Multi Control and the digital display dialed right down.

The "Weak AC" box is ticked in the settings file.

Help!!!!

battery chargingGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

Hello @BJS1 …. Is the wide input frequency box ticked. It allows generator input from 45-60 hz. Maybe the generator is just slightly off frequency.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @BJS1

Have a look through this.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

In particular, the Dynamic Current Limiter, which is almost an essential with small gensets.

The WeakAC setting is ok to use for now, but this can mask genset wiring issues too, and shouldn't be necessary once you get it sorted.

2 |3000

s3w47m88 avatar image
s3w47m88 answered ·

Hi @Trevor Bird and @JohnC I'm experiencing the same issue, I think.

In my case, I had the system charging from my generator until recently. It seems that periodically it just stops working (like separate by weeks or months).

I am testing with two separate generators, one of which is brand new (a 5000 watt Champion Dual Fuel and a Harbor Freight 1,500 watt one), and neither of my two MultiPlus' will accept and invert a charge from them. I've tried the 30 amp line, and the 20 amp line, to no avail.

I've checked all my connections and everything seems secure. I've tested my voltage and it's consistent all the way along the line. From the generator outlets, the electrical cord, all the way to the wires going directly into the AC input on the MultiPlus main. It appears to be simply that the MultiPlus' are rejecting it. Although I'm getting no errors on my Cerbo GX Touch Screen.

I have no idea what's going on or how to troubleshoot it from here. But it occurs for bother generators, and I've tested with multiple extension cords just in case.

2 |3000

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Look in the protections settings log using a Mk2 and VE configure. This will tell you why the generator is disconnecting. In my case it was low voltage, due to an earth leakage fault in the generator upsetting the AVR. This only showed up when the multi tried to connect.

2 |3000