question

pcurnutt avatar image
pcurnutt asked

Using a BP65 with a Blue Smart IP65 Charger and Orion TR 24/24-5 DC/DC Converter

I want to do the above as a UPS: Charger will keep batteries charged and power load, when power fails batteries will power load until battery voltage falls below set point and BP 65 disconnects load, BP 65 will reconnect when AC power comes back on and batteries will recharge. I believe this arrangement, using the TR-24 Isolated DC/DC Converter, will avoid a reverse current situation through the BP 65. Anybody see any problems with this setup? I didn't show it in this drawing, but there is a 10A breaker between the batteries and the BP 65.

chargerBattery ProtectOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
1559942514752.png (52.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
pcurnutt avatar image
pcurnutt answered ·

Rethinking my configuration, I added a second BP65 between the Blue Smart IP65 Charger and the batteries, such as in Figure 5 of the Battery Protect Installation Guide. But in this case I am not using Li-ion batteries, but AGM/SLA's. My question, along with is this configuration viable to avoid a reverse current situation, but also how would I program BP 65 #2 Shutdown voltage and Mode? As I am using this configuration as a UPS, I am guessing that Segment Display 2, 19V shutdown and 23V restart, along with Mode D would do what I want it to, but guidance would be appreciated. BP 65 #1 would be programed for Segment Display 7, 23.6V shutdown and 25.6 restart, which would be proper for the AGM/SLA batteries.

1560372862848.png (66.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BatteryProtect product page

Victron DC-DC converters product page