question

darkfall avatar image
darkfall asked

Multiplus II 48/5000 with a single SOK 48/100 battery

Hello there folks!

Apologies in advance if this type of question has been asked to death here, I have searched the previous posts, but I couldn't find an exact answer.

I'm building a DC-coupled ESS system with a Multiplus-ii 48/5000 and am slightly confused by the battery requirement part.

Some notes, I am aware SOK isn't officially supported and that the guidelines say 200Ah as a minimum, so this is all at my own risk.

Based on what I've read, the minimum battery requirement is due to the inverter's current draw, and I should be able to limit the current draw via GX.

Question 1 - is the above right?

If yes, then the next part that confuses me is the actual current draw of the inverter. Normally, to get the current draw I'd use voltage/watts, traditionally that would be 48/5000 = 104.167A. However, as I'm technically going out of spec here, I'd like to be extra careful, even pedantically so and I get a bit confused about what voltage to use.

Battery specs:

• 16S configuration so the voltage is 51.2V
  • 1C discharge rate is 100A
  • The peak discharge is 200A for 3 seconds

Question 2 - For the current calculation, should I use 48 volts or 51.2 volts?

Question 3 - Does anyone know how long the Peak Power output lasts? I can only find references to a "short time" and for my less-than-optimal setup, would I need to put any consideration into it?

Just a note, while I am using the multiplus-ii 5kva, my actual power consumption would be around 3kw peak. However, in the future, I will be using more power, so the headroom is needed, but when that happens I'm defo getting a second (or third, fourth, etc) battery. In the further future, the plan is to expand this to a 3-phase system with 3x 5kva inverters. Essentially, I'm building the start of a much larger system, but it will be expanded over time - honestly, I love that this is an option!

Multiplus-II48v battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Darkfall

Use the 48v if you want headroom. Your battery will not always operate at 51v (voltage drop under load and voltage drop in discharge) what is the cut off voltage for SOK? Worst case scenario voltage there.

Dont wait too long to do the upgrade to three phase (and you need identifical units (PN number) part number wise so let your supplier know this is your goal so the keep or reserve units for you) It is clearly stated in the three phase training and document. Doesn't work well otherwise.

Peak power depends on the unit purchased. Each product has a tech spec section in the manual on its product page. MP2 is usually a few seconds (3s when inverting), so will match the battery. Ideally though, you prefer the inverter to shut off before the battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic