question

rod99 avatar image
rod99 asked

SmartSolar Charge Controller and SmartShunt connected to Venus OS

Shouldn't the SmartShunt be displayed as a separate unit in Venus OS (running on a Raspberry Pi)? I am only seeing my SmartSolar Charge Controller and no SmartShunt

In Home Assistant where I am processing the data from Venus OS I didn't get any additional values since I installed the SmartShunt.

MPPT ControllersVenus OSSmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Yes I believe they should show up seperately (For example see snip below from venus os)

Are you sure the smart shunt is connected correctly o the raspberry pi?

1681726361671.png

1681726361671.png (20.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rod99 avatar image
rod99 answered ·

I take from your answer that the SmartShunt needs a separate USB connection to the raspberry pi. I'm gonna check the cabling though.

2 |3000

rod99 avatar image
rod99 answered ·

Now I checked all connections. They are all fine. Both devices are connected to the Raspberry Pi via USB. Additionally they are connected via VE.smart Network. But still my device list doesn't show the SmartShunt. Any idea?

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@rod99

"Additionally they are connected via VE.smart Network."

Why? This can cause interactions. Best disable that and run with the wires alone.

0 Likes 0 ·
mark-a avatar image
mark-a answered ·

Theresa setting in Settings -> System Setup for the battery monitor to be used. Perhaps it's set to No Battery Monitor instead of Automatic? I recently connected my BMV-712 to the Raspberry Venus and the SmartShunt is just a leaner version without display and buttons. The BMV showed up immediately in the VRM as well as the Remote Console when I plugged in the USB cable. I had problems however when I put a USB hub (bus powered) in between.

BTW do you have Victron or DIY cables? When making your own you should probably cut the Vcc an Gnd lines and add an optocoupler to the rx and tx lane each in order to decouple the devices galvanically. The Victron cables are isolated and work out of the box.

2 |3000

rod99 avatar image
rod99 answered ·

Yes I have DIY Cables which are working for the SmartSolar Charger. But this can be the reason for the problem with the shunt.

Battery monitor is set to automatic but doesn't show any item.

Thank you for your information. I'll check that out.

1 comment
2 |3000

mark-a avatar image mark-a commented ·
Ah, there is another issue. The SmartSolar has 5 V on the VE.Direct port, the BMV has 3.3 V and likely the SmartShunt as well. You'll need a voltage divider or level converter on the RX line at least.
0 Likes 0 ·
rod99 avatar image
rod99 answered ·

TX and RX lines have 3.3V against GND. Plus and GND have 5.0V But maybe it is really just a matter of decoupling. The original cable from victron is decoupled. I'll check it out.

2 |3000