question

ianmcnobody avatar image
ianmcnobody asked

Can I switch on my EasySolar II GX only connected to Solar?

I live on a canal boat and I have an EasySolar II GX 48/5000/70, which I intend to use as an off-grid setup (I will have very occasional shore power mains for AC in, but primarily will use my 4 x 410W solar panels to supply most of the power, and in future I will replace and modify the engine's alternator charging to allow for charging the batteries where the solar is not sufficient).

I have 1 x Pylontech US5000 (48V), and will expand that setup to 3 of them as soon as I can), and I am following the compatibility guide on the victron website, and the guide to set up the DVCC settings.

All of that is fine, but I need to power the EasySolar in order to adjust the settings, etc before connecting the (fully charged) battery. I'd like to switch it on with just the solar panels attached supplying the power needed for initial switch-on and so I can update the firmware and adjust the settings to be suitable for the Lithium batteries (and its built-in BMS, etc).

I'm not very experienced in these systems, so perhaps it's a stupid question, but can I attach the solar cables to the EasySolar on a bright sunny day, turn it on, do all the settings changes, then attach the batteries to the EasySolar to complete the medium-term solution (before alternator charging and additional batteries are added)?

Would it be much simpler/safer and more stable to rent a generator, and plug the shore power into the generator to supply the 'AC in' on the EasySolar, to then adjust settings and then connect batteries?

Multiplus-IIMPPT ControllersEasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@ianmcnobody

Not a stupid question, but no, wait for the battery.

When you do hook up everything including comms. Start with powering up the solar to precharge (your battery will trip immediately if you don't since it is slightly undersized - or you may get a warning) switch on the solar (ac in and out not switched on.) Then program the mppt. After that switch on the inverter and program is as well.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.