question

PeterM avatar image
PeterM asked

Privacy / SPAM

I am starting to get Spam messages where email address is sourced form my profile here. Is there a way to hide my email profile from this forum?

Energy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

As far as I know your mail address should only be visible to moderators and admins not for normal users or unregistered visitors.
Can you see the mail addresses of other users?

I forwarded this to the admins.

btw you address is not validated jet

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

PeterM avatar image
PeterM answered ·

Hi Matthais,

just checked I cannot see other members email address. The Spam guy said he got my email address from my profile here and wants to offer me a business deal. I have deleted message. No idea who he/she/it is .

2 |3000

PeterM avatar image
PeterM answered ·

Someone else ( from this community ) emailed me now from this forum suggested that I change my username . However that is not possible . Is it possible to do that via the backend ?

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You created your account as your email address, this has made it "searchable" when looking for your posts or replying to them. It is best to just use a username that is not an email address, then it can't happen. With the popularity of the site increasing, many spammers are trying to take advantage.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I've changed your visible username to PeterM. This will change in all your past/future posts. If you'd like something else, please say here and use the @ convention to let me know.

But it won't stop your email being searchable, sorry. If you change your email address, that should complete the job.

2 |3000

Related Resources