question

kristian1979 avatar image
kristian1979 asked

Pylontech battery fault

Hi,

I have 5 US2000 batteries, when i have 4 connected they charege no problem but when i connnect the 5th it goes in to fault, all the lights flash (SOC, Alarm and run light) then all go off, and then just continue to flash. If i remove the link port connection the battery continues to charge however as soon as i plug it back in it goes back in to fault?

Any assistance appreciated

battery
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Kristian1979

And you have the battery address dip system correct?

If you connect that one without another one (so total stays 4), then does it work?

Change it to the master position?

Does it work by itself with comms to the GX?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
kristian1979 avatar image
kristian1979 answered ·

Yes the dip switches are correct, I have changed the master to other batteries. I had it working when it was 3 batteries then added 2 more new ones and the fault appeared. I will try removing another battery to see if this one works.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
You might be able to identify a single problem battery if that's the case.

Make sure newest is master.

1 Like 1 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
The new ones should be the masters. Check in the Pylontecs manual, it mentions this explicitly.
0 Likes 0 ·
raymiller avatar image
raymiller answered ·

A couple of years ago I had a similar problem with my 2500 batteries.

If you log on to the battery using "Battery View" software should show what the problem is.

The solution to my new batteries; I need to separately charge the faulted batteries very slowly for all the cells to equalise. I used a separate Constant Current power supply set to the final charge voltage and current set to 70mA for 24V batteries. It took like 36 hours or so to get all the cells up to the same state of charge. If the set charge current is too great when the most charged cells reach the fully charge state the battery will fault and disconnect and stop charging!

The trick is to go slow enough for all cells to reach the same state of charge. Once the battery is fully charged it can be installed in service and operates normally.

This happened to 3 of my batteries and took a while to perfect the technique and find the ideal current, for 48V batteries the current, in theory, would be about 35ma. If the charge is too great it will fault and you need to begin again with a slightly slower current.

I do not know why this particular brand has a very limited cell bypass current when it reaches the fully charged level. It only seems to be a problem with new off-the-shelf batteries which may have been sitting idle for many months.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic