question

alfred0905 avatar image
alfred0905 asked

Solar charger before or after bms?

Hi!

I'm just building a system with the following devices:

LiIon 200ah/25,6v smart, lynx bms, cerbo gx, smartsolar 150/35, quattro 5000...

I'll be using the bms relay as a remote main switch, does it make sense to connect the solar charger before bms (using a Cyrix LiCharge for safety) to keep the battery charged while the boat is not in use?

Will the ATC contact be positive even if the remote port on lynx bms is open?

Thx for your help!

MPPT ControllersBMSlynx bms
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

It looks like all the loads and chargers are on the distribution side of the Lynx Smart BMS.

Have a look at the schematics page for the LSBMS. Take note of the information bubble at the bottom of each PDF regarding how the BMS interfaces with other products.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alfred0905 avatar image
alfred0905 answered ·

True, in the schematic it is shown that the solar charger should be after bms, but what I dont like on this setup is that it will not use solar charge for long term storage to keep the batteries topped up..

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

it will not use solar charge for long term storage to keep the batteries topped up

Define long term storage.. As per Data Sheet the disconnected battery has a 1 year storage period.

Should you simply use the LSBMS remote to hibernate/standby the system, it would seem to use a whole 2Ah extra for 100 days of storage. LSBMS data sheet.

Perhaps your boat is moored at a marina, and bilge pumps need to run??

I am not nautical....

0 Likes 0 ·
alfred0905 avatar image
alfred0905 answered ·

Hm, youre right. It wont be any longer than 3-4 month without charging, so most probably its just not necessary to keep it charging with solar power..

Second option would be to use the relais to switch on the generator when the battery is running low, but I'm not sure if its the best idea to let the generator run completely unattended

2 |3000

Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Will the ATC contact be positive even if the remote port on lynx bms is open?

No. Having the remote port open means the BMS is turned off with the contactor and ATC/ATD open. Best advice from a boaters perspective is to turn the whole system off during winter or a longer time period unattended and disconnect the battery from the battery side of the BMS. Make sure there is enough energy left in the battery before doing so. You're good to go with anything between 50 and 100% SoC.

2 |3000