question

kspare avatar image
kspare asked

MPPT Smart Solar error 38?

I have a 150/60 Smart Solar, MP 2 12/3000 2x, cerbo gx, connected to 2 lion energy ut1300 batteries. everything worked great, but for the last 2 nights shortly after sunset, im getting the error 38. I just upgraded from a go power ic3000, so Im suspecting the MP, but not sure why.

Charging is set: AB 14.2 (Lion energy recommends 14.6) Float 13.8 (as per lion energy), the rest of the setting are the victron Lithium defaults.

The system will run perfect all day, and this has happened the last 2 nights just after sunset...

What am I missing?

Multiplus-IIMPPT Controllerscerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
kspare avatar image
kspare answered ·

It failed again at sunset, triggered the alarm. so I reset it, and at sunrise it faulted again. What am I missing here??

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Err 38, Err 39 - PV Input shutdown

To protect the battery from over-charging the panel input is shorted.

Possible reasons for this error to occur:

• The Battery voltage (12/24/48V) is set, or auto-detected, incorrectly. Use VictronConnect to disable auto-detect and set the Battery Voltage to a fixed voltage.
  • There is another device connected to the battery, which is configured to a higher voltage. For example a MultiPlus, configured to equalise at 17 Volts, while in the MPPT this is not configured.
  • The battery is disconnected using a manual switch. Ideally the charger should be switched off before disconnecting the battery, this avoids a voltage overshoot on the charger output. If necessary the voltage trip-level for the PV Short protection can be increased by raising the Equalization voltage set-point (note: equalization does not have to be enabled in this case).
  • The battery is disconnected using a Lithium charge relay connected to the “allow-to-charge” output of a BMS. Consider wiring this signal to the Remote terminal of the charger instead. This shuts down the charger gracefully without creating a voltage overshoot.

Error recovery:

• Error 38: First disconnect the solar panels and disconnect the battery. Wait for 3 minutes, then reconnect the battery first and next the panels.
  • Error 39: The charger will automatically resume operation once the battery voltage drops below its maximum voltage setting (normally Equalisation or Absorption voltages), for 250V versions or float voltage for the other units. It can also takes a minute to reset the fault.

If the error persists the charge controller is probably faulty.

2 |3000

kspare avatar image
kspare answered ·

Thanks for posting the same thing everyone else posts...over and over...thats of absolutely no help.

I figured out a way to fix this.

When you pick the lithium preselect for battery it disabled the equalization voltage.

I changed my battery back to a AGM Spiral.

From there, I changed Absorb to 14.5, float 13.9, equalization 16.5

**Make sure automatic equalization is turned off**

I basically set all the same lithium settings as before, but as a AGM.

I no longer have the high voltage alarms and I don't have to do resets anymore.

This all started after a firmware update, im just not sure which one!

2 |3000

hansgeorgk avatar image
hansgeorgk answered ·

hi, I am seeing similar issue ... :-(

Are you still running your system with this AGM workaround or have you found another solution?

cheers

HG

2 |3000