question

michaelhahn avatar image
michaelhahn asked

Multiplus compact 24/1600 inverter issues

Hello,

I have been integrating a Multiplus Compact 24/1600 (Multiplus) into the electrical system on board my sail cutter for about 5 years. It is connected to 2 x 24V 220Ah AGM batteries from 2017 and to an Isolation Transformer 3600. Since last year in autumn I have had problems with the inverter function of the Multiplus. The Multiplus works normally if it is connected to the 230V grid. The batteries are charged and the 230V system on board is also supplied with power from the grid via the Multiplus. The moment I disconnect the Multiplus from the grid, the Multiplus goes into alarm mode. The red LED lights up permanently. If I then connect the Multiplus to the grid, the Multiplus functions normally. Before the start of the new season this year I wanted to dismantle the Multiplus to send it in for repair, but before the start I checked the function and the inverter worked even with a large load of approx. 1000W. A week later the inverter did not work again. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I had also checked the connection between battery and Multiplus.

Many thanks in advance

Michael

error
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
neoneddy avatar image
neoneddy answered ·

What was being used while you were connected to shore power? To me it sounds like either something with the automatic transfer switch in the multi, or you're overloading the multi unknowingly. If you're connected to shore power pulling 1500+ watts , and disconnect, it's not going to be happy about that. It should be able to handle that load for a bit, but if it's inductive it might have more trouble.

It would be good to know what the battery reads when the multiplus faults, the AGM bank could be connected well, but bad and it might hit low voltage alarm / shutdown under a large load.

Long story short, I think we need more information here. What is running if anything? Is there a battery monitor? What are the voltages before and after on your battery bank.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

michaelhahn avatar image
michaelhahn answered ·

Many thanks for the quick respons. The problem also occurred when I disconnected the 230 V Out-Cable (I mean the cable conncetion from the inverter for the 230 V supply grid onboard) and subsequently disconnected the shore power. Then there shouldn't be any load on the inverter. I had also disconnect/connect all 24V cables from each connection point between both batteries, mass connection point, connection point at the fuse and the connection of the Multiplus. There is no corrison at the battery terminals. I have also checked the Voltage of the batteries when I disconnect the inverter from shore. There is nothing unusual, but I can make a screenshot of the voltmeter in the next days when I am onboard again. The batteries are still able to start the 6 litre diesel engine and also to supply the DC system for several hours with power, but there is also the alternator which supplies 24V power when the diesel is running.

Best regards,

Michael

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic