question

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird asked

Quattro says it’s in absorption mode ( although it’s actually in Float)

We have installed 600Ah of Lithium Smart batteries and Lynx distribution and Lynx Smart BMS. Also installed is a Quattro 24/8000 and three 24/17 Orions. The Lynx Smart BMS is VE.Can to a CerboGX. The CerboGX connects via VE.Bus to the Quattro.

The performance is ok with the Quattro charging through bulk to absorption. The terminal voltage of the batteries shows a float value and it comes down from absorption as it should. Performance is normal however the Quattro says it is in absorption mode. It is controlled by DVCC and the Lynx Smart BMS is the boss but the Quattro doesn’t know it is in float stage.

Anyone else seen this? Performance is ok but the status of the Quattro seems wrong to me.

Thanks and regards,

Trevor

lynx bmslithium smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·
Upgrade the Cerbo to v2.90 firmware and it will no longer state "bulk" / "absorb" but "ext. control".
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird commented ·
Many thanks @pwfarnell . That solves the issue so that will be updated on Monday. Many thanks for that advice!
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Apparently the 'charge sate' terminology for chargers and managed batteries is being moved over from Bulk/Absorb/float, to "External Control"

Perhaps all the firmware/updates are not at the same definition?

3 comments
2 |3000

Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird commented ·
I suspect that is true. The Quattro charger is controlled by the Lynx BMS quite well but the advice to the user seems wrong. Hopefully it can be resolved because it works as it should the wrong user advice could get very confusing to a client.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ Trevor Bird commented ·

Dunno if this is helpful.

0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Yes..thanks..that helps reinforce my suspicions. It would be good if Victron provided guidance on these issues. They may have done so of course and I havent found the information.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

LED indications, warnings, alarm and error codes

Lynx Smart BMS product page

Lynx Smart BMS online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic