question

david33 avatar image
david33 asked

What size circuit breaker for my 12/12 30 amp charger

I have a 175 amp alternator and a 12/12 30 amp non isolated charger to offset my solar. I am finding that a 30 amp breaker will trip after a short while.

Should I put in a larger breaker?

I notice that if my panels are in the shade and only putting in little over 4 amps, when my charger is turned on, I am getting 35 amps showing through my shunt and the breaker trips.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@david33 Please take a look in the manual, located here and section 4.6. It provides both cable sizing and fuse recommendations. Please remember the fuse is to protect the cable and not the device.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

david33 avatar image
david33 answered ·

@bathnm

Thank you, my mistake was thinking I was protecting the device. Now I can clear this up by increasing the amps on my breaker and moving it to the correct location.

2 |3000