question

Brian Brown avatar image
Brian Brown asked

Ignore AC input VS function not working

I have (2) Quattro 48/5000/70-2x100 120V (FW v494) running in split phase. 95% of the time I'm in an off grid configuration but if I don't have sun for a few days (or I'm testing) I'll provide AC via the grid to the AC-2 inputs. I have setup the virtual switch to ignore the AC inputs unless the criteria is met (see configuration). The problem I'm having is I provide AC to the inputs but the Quattro's switch from inverting to AC passthrough plus charging even though the conditions haven't been met. Can some check my configuration to see if I have done something wrong? When I first installed the system this function worked properly. I used VRM remote configuration to download and make a a couple of charger configuration changes then upload. Even though VRM configuration upload didn't require a restart of the Quattro's do they need to be restarted? L1 & L2 Quattro's are configured identically.

virtual switch
l1-config.pdf (298.4 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Brian Brown

The system does not always require a restart.

Did you re download the config to check everything uploaded correctly?

0 Likes 0 ·
Brian Brown avatar image Brian Brown Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Yes. The above config PDF was printed from a fresh download today. Anything in the config that would explain why it is switching? The battery was fully charged and the AC load was ~400W so it shouldn't have switched to the AC input. I'm using an external SmartShunt for the battery monitor, not the inverter battery monitor. Everything is hardwired networked through a Cerbo GX.
0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Brian Brown

Try changing the entries you have for the times there in VS for "0" (zero) to something realistic, like a "1", or even a decimal point figure. I'm always reluctant to use zeros like this, and in some cases may actually default to no action. Just something to try..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dunnp avatar image
dunnp answered ·

I suggest using the VS option above - ie "Ignore AC input: VS on = ignore, VS off = do not ignore". That worked on my MultiPlus. I didn't try the "Dedicated ignore AC input" so unsure how it is supposed to work. Phil

2 |3000

Richard Pearce avatar image
Richard Pearce answered ·

Hi, @Alexandra

I have a similar issue with a Quattro setup on a LiFePo4 battery with Grid connection on AC In 2 and standby generator on AC In 1. I also have 2 signal BMS assistant and utilising DVCC External control direct from the battery BMS (123 Smart BMS)

I also have a Cerbo and Smart Solar dual MPPT. This is grid connected but not set as ESS as I have no plans at present to feed-in.

Within the Cerbo (via Remote Console), I have enabled generator control for the actual standby generator and I have recently setup the Assistant in the Quattro to ignore AC in 2 dependent on SoC (default values for now of 30% start and 80% stop), load and to stop if AC1 is available (so if the generator starts on a timed monthly run up, its output is utilised charging the battery). The General Flag Relay control is set to 'open to start generator' (as it wasn't ignoring AC2 at all when set the other way. Brain got a bit fried with all the double negative implications).

The system is newly connected and this morning the battery fell below 30% and the grid didn't kick in (AC in 2 was not un-ignored). I'm trying to figure out why this is. Is it because i'm also using the Cerbo to start the generator proper via the Cerbo Relay 1 and there's a conflict? Is it because i'm asking it to stop the generator (Grid) if AC1 (Generator proper) is available?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Regards

Richard

Incidentally, I'm really liking the controls section that opens up in the VRM Dashboard, especially the generator controls, excellent work Victron techs. As a separate item to the above, can i request a second generator control please to either control Relay 2 on the cerbo (and thence via wired pair to an input on the Quattro) or (better still) the General Flag relay as AC Ignore. Can i also request naming options for the second and the trackers on the Smart Solar (to be able to label the arrays).

4 comments
2 |3000

The smart solars unless you have the RS do not have separate trackers. You have to name the mppts then.

AC 1 is always a priority over 2. If there is any voltage present on ac in 1 ac2 gets ignored

0 Likes 0 ·
Richard Pearce avatar image Richard Pearce Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Thank you @Alexandra It is the Smart Solar MPPT RS 450/100.

AC1 is connected directly to the generator. With the generator at a standstill there should be no voltage at all on AC1.

As you say AC1 has priority, I have no need to include the 'Stop generator when AC1 available'. Ill remove this and see what happens.

0 Likes 0 ·
Richard Pearce avatar image Richard Pearce Richard Pearce commented ·

I removed the 'Stop generator when AC1 available' and there is no change.

0 Likes 0 ·
Richard Pearce avatar image Richard Pearce Richard Pearce commented ·
I've now ditched the generator start/stop and set the programmable relay instead, one for on and one for off. This seems to be the opposite way round to what one would expect. ie. when set to on the general flag ignores AC. In actual fact, it seems to be that when on the AC is on (not ignored) and when off the AC is off (Ignored). So far i have proven this as working by increasing the load past the setpoint and the AC cuts in after the 5 second delay i have set and drops out after the 60 second delay, so all good there.

I'll now need to wait for the battery voltage to drop and hope the AC kicks in.

0 Likes 0 ·
chrichri avatar image
chrichri answered ·

Hi, I would not use VS but assistants and there you can set the charge current to 0 in case you would like to pass through (not ignore AC input).

2 |3000

@chrichri Thanks but if you're referring to my query, I have used assistants as I have the two signal BMS assistant and therefore am prohibited from using Virtual Switch. I would generally agree that the Assistants seem better.

2 |3000

This seems to be resolved. I noticed that adding the battery state reporting from the Quattro onto the VRM dashboard showed that SoC was always at 100% so i suppose basing the switching on SoC was only seeing this 100%. I therefore changed to battery voltage for the switching and that has now worked successfully. The input current limit is useful to be able to control the rate at which the grid is used to feed the loads and charge the battery as it allows for the sun to come up and take on the loads and charging rather than set an arbitrary switch off value (which is necessary) and run the grid at full speed to get there when its a short time over discharge and waiting a little can allow the sun to take the reins.

2 comments
2 |3000

@Richard Pearce

Realised i could have suggested an easier way.

Wire up the relay on the GX to the temp input (set the temp inout to drive the primary relay on and off conditions). Use the generator start stop function from the GX to connect to grid based on conditions and then a manual override it possible.as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
Richard Pearce avatar image Richard Pearce Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Ah, thank you @Alexandra , my bad, I didn't make it clear that I'm already using the Generator Start Stop feature in the GX to start the actual diesel generator. I really like this feature with the controls available on the desktop. It would be great if Victron could duplicate this feature so it could be used for the second AC In on the quattro. I think also, as I'm using the 2 signal BMS assistant, I'm not sure if I could also use the Temp input to drive the primary input relay BUT I could interrupt the wiring from the BMS Charge relay into the input I've chosen in the Quattro. Would this interrupt the AC in or simply prevent the battery from charging while allowing the grid to 'passthru'? I think charging only would be interrupted (working from memory).
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE Configure/Virtual Switch

Ignore AC input using the Generator Assistant