question

kestrelcraft avatar image
kestrelcraft asked

Water logged smart battery....

I found some used smart batteries that were left outside for sale (or free?), I have no idea what condition they are in. I went to load them to evaluate them and water poured out of the case vents. I am assuming they are worthless, but are they worth looking into? Are they waterproof at all? Can I open the case? No voltage at terminals.

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

These are probably worthless or dangerous.
0V on the terminals is a red flag since these type of cells are considered junk once the terminal Voltage goes below 2V. A charge might bring the terminal Voltage up to a seemingly healthy level but they will have a seriously degraded performance and may even be dangerous.
Add to the fact that they have water in them, I'd be taking several steps backwards.
Then there is the electronics part of the cell modules which are most likely damaged too.

Please do not entertain these and walk briskly away!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

taylortops avatar image
taylortops answered ·

Be careful with this. Water and lithium make for an explosive combination.

2 |3000

Related Resources