question

amerie avatar image
amerie asked

How will my Victron MPPT and Renogy DC to DC Chargers get along?

Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 100V 30 amp 12/24-Volt Solar Charge Controller,

Renogy 40A DC to DC Charger (DCC1212-40),

House battery: LiFePO4 100Ah 12.8v

I plan to have both MPPT and DC-DC “on” at the same time. Should be max 40a from alternator, max 30a from MPPT, any my battery can take up to 100a.

How will my Victron MPPT respond if I also have alternator charging? How will each respond to power going into battery that it is not controlling? How will each one affect the performance of the other?

Any real world experience appreciated!

MPPT Controllersdc system
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Jeremy Albrecht avatar image
Jeremy Albrecht answered ·

You won't have any issues as your DC-DC is putting out a max of 40A and your MPPT is putting out a max of 30A. (≤40) + (≤30) is never going to be greater than 100.

They two chargers will be unaware of each other, but neither will overcharge your battery.

As far as real world experience, I ran a SmartSolar 150/85 and a Renogy 60A DC-DC for over a year (with many 8+ hour driving days, so DC-DC running for a long time) and never ran into any issues with them not getting along. My battery bank had a max charging rate of about 200A.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic